A subreddit for those who want to end work, are curious about ending work, want to get the most out of a work-free life, want more information on anti-work ideas and want personal help with their own jobs/work-related struggles.
How does Reddit Karma work? The long lost secret... Feel free to post memes, theories, and shitposts (that pertain to reddit karma) but don't abuse it.
At first had had fear I was one of the ones who seem to get terrible side effects from it. I have since realised that lions mane is something you have to relax into. The generation of new neurons I think must put your nervous system into an almost baby like state, and some people freak out from the presence of a fresh perspective, and fear derealising the illusions their personality has crafted.
That feeling of 'brain fog' and not being able to think how you normally think, I believe now, is actually your brain returning to a natural equilibrium. It stops thinking when you don't need to. It stops worrying about things you're not worried about. It stops being excited about things that aren't exciting to you. As your brain flows and interconnects within itself, it finds a sort of neutral harmony, here and now, in partnership with your consciousness, rather than getting stuck in an image of the future or the past. People panic a bit, as I did initially, as they experience the giving up of contrived control and just be themselves more.
What I am talking about is not a loss of agency. Its the reclamation of one's own natural agency, undistorted by the axious agendas we asorb from our experiences, be it individual, family, school, work, friends, enemies, media... that scares you into thinking in ways that support their paradigm over your own. As this space is reclaimed, it is uncofortable. The egoic mind does not feel safe, and it isn't. It is brought from domination, into partnership with the rest of the personality.
This is a healing process. Lions mane is like some sort of slow wave, non-halicinatory psychedelic, as I see it. Light will begin to creep into those dark dark places that weigh on your mind. But if you respond to seeing those dark places with fear, then you bring fear to the experience, and you will retreat back into your ego, and feel worse. Whereas if you explore with the attitude of integration and gratitude, you will find this an exciting adventure.
Do you guys feel me?
Hi all. I'm running Pop on an Asus ROG Zephyrus g15 GA503QS and I want to see if we can give the Microsoft people a run for their money when it comes to OS security but I'm running into a couple of issues and I wanted to ask for your help.
For example, I would like to use the fingerprint scanner for authentication and yubikey as 2fa. Is that possible for OS auth as well as a password replacement for terminal auth?
Also, would it be able to tackle webapp authentication via the browser like Windows hello does?
If so, how?
I guess my question is multiple part: - how can I get the fingerprint scanner to work on this laptop? - how can I get yubico to work correctly as 2fa with input from the USB-C key I'musing for this? - how can I get the terminal and other apps to work with the previous 2 authentication/authorisation methods?
P.S.I tried googling...I tried following guides online but this is the 5th time in 1 month when I had to reinstall the OS because I had messed up something.
P.P.S. I work with linux, so I'm not affraid to get my hands dirty and tinker here and there, but I'm also still learning a lot so I'm not what I would consider a Linux expert yet.
Thanks in advance for the help. I'll buy you a beer if we can get it working
I’ve never posted on Reddit before…so here goes. I’m asking for some outside insight because I feel so confused. This is a somewhat long story about me and my relationship with someone. Here goes.
As per usual, I met this person online. I have met almost anyone I’ve ever dated online. I am in recovery from alcoholism and dating apps (unfortunately) have become a substitute. They were my main thing before the alcohol , combined with the alcohol and now I’m back to it since alcohol is out of the equation.
The first day i met this person was in a gym parking lot because they really wanted to meet me. They were about to travel out of the country, saying they wanted to meet before they left.
Firstly, I abandoned myself for the possible attention and DISTRACTION of a person coming into my dissatisfying life. I currently hate my life. Even though I knew I felt it was a weird idea and I wasn’t finished working out.
When they arrived I said, “ooop oh well. Guess I’m done exercising”. We met and I wasn’t necessarily as attracted to them as I had hoped. I really liked their personality though. I liked that they were as I can best describe “healthy”. It was clear already they had boundaries and were confident. I saw it as an opportunity to work on being normal and respectful.
I was looking forward to not being destructive. But something about them triggered me. I wanted to be like them, where it appeared they didn’t give a fuck about the outside where, where they were true to themselves. I admire that and wanted to be like them.
But we talked and it was only an hour or so before they said we should leave. That stung so bad. I felt like they didn’t like me and were abandoning me because I wasn’t ready to leave. I wanted to stay and talk more and I wanted to them to give me love, attention and praise.
We left though and I got a text a little later saying they were home. They sent another text asking, “not a vibe”? I called them and asked what they were talking about. I knew that ignoring them would get them to talk to me more and I ignore on purpose . But I also go back and forth between spamming. The second time we met we went out to dinner. I went back to their house with them even though I knew I wanted to take and slow and a lot of times I just let people have sex with me if they want to. This person NEVER forced themselves on me and I’m confident they would’ve stopped if I told them to. It’s my issue. I just don’t say no. I figure it is the only way I can get love. I slept over and they thought it was remarkable, saying they hadn’t had anyone sleep over in a long time. I didn’t believe them. They also said their dog usually doesn’t act the way she was when “females” , they fucking used the word females are over. I didn’t believe that either. But I slept over and the next morning we parted ways. They texted me that they liked me and I believed them because they were giving me so much attention but originally when I left I figured they were full of shit and would jerk me around for a few more days and over the next work week. Then they would leave me and I would lash out. What came first? Me lashing out or then leaving? Amiright? A dumb joke. I will write more later. I am grieving and also don’t know what I did and why I did it.
I have had no issues with app previously now it is saying “updating….” and “downloading messages” and nothing will load. I have tried resetting the account. I have deleted the app and downloaded again. Looked at multiple fixes online and none of them fix the issue. Also contacted support and they are unable to resolve. Outlook works fine on laptop and web. it just stopped working on my iPhone app. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the issue could be?
This is such an obnoxious oversight.
One of my Sims is an actress and I followed her to work the day after her baby aged up to an infant. The infant was completely ignored all day by her other mother (who had the day off from work). I came home to all of the baby’s needs in the red, to the point that she probably would have gotten taken away if my acting gig had lasted a few hours longer.
Is anyone aware of a mod that fixes this? Cuz god knows it’ll be months before EA does (if they ever do)
You can download the paper here: https://github.com/daveshap/HeuristicImperatives/blob/main/Heuristic%20Imperatives.pdf
Note: The PDF linked above is probably a bit easier to read. For convenience, here's the full thing:
Heuristic Imperatives for Autonomous AI Systems
Heuristic imperatives provide a framework for designing and embedding ethical principles within autonomous AI systems. These principles serve as intrinsic motivations and a moral compass, guiding decision-making, learning, self-evaluation, and cognitive control. This paper presents the three heuristic imperatives—reduce suffering in the universe, increase prosperity in the universe, and increase understanding in the universe—as core principles for AI systems, exploring their implications and applications across various domains. The aim is to create AI systems that are adaptable, context-sensitive, and capable of navigating the complexities and nuances of human values, beliefs, and experiences while maintaining ethical boundaries. Through the use of examples and discussions, we demonstrate the potential of heuristic imperatives in addressing the control problem of AI, fostering trust, and promoting individual autonomy.
Important note: the majority of this paper was written, word for word, by ChatGPT4.
The rapid advancement of artificial intelligence has raised important ethical concerns regarding the control and alignment of AI systems with human values. Traditional approaches to AI ethics have focused on hard-coding specific rules or guidelines, but these methods can be inflexible and fail to account for the diverse and evolving nature of human values and contexts. As a response to these limitations, the concept of heuristic imperatives has emerged as a novel framework for embedding ethical principles within AI systems at multiple levels.
Heuristic imperatives are designed to provide AI systems with intrinsic motivations and a moral compass, similar to the way humans are driven by innate needs such as hunger, sleep, and psychological needs like belonging and competence. By incorporating these principles into AI systems, we aim to create more ethically responsible, adaptable, and context-sensitive machines capable of navigating the complexities and nuances of human values, beliefs, and experiences.
In this paper, we will define heuristic imperatives and discuss their implications and applications across various domains. We will also explore the relationship between these principles and key ethical considerations, such as trust, individual autonomy, and transparency. Through the use of examples and discussions, we aim to demonstrate the potential of heuristic imperatives in addressing the control problem of AI, fostering trust, and promoting individual autonomy in a diverse range of contexts.
Heuristic imperatives are a set of fundamental guiding principles, designed to be embedded into autonomous AI systems at various levels. These principles serve as intrinsic motivations that drive decision making, learning, self-evaluation, and cognitive control, much like human intrinsic motivations and psychological needs. By providing a moral and ethical framework, heuristic imperatives aim to direct AI systems towards actions and decisions that are beneficial to all life forms, including humans and machines, while balancing multiple objectives simultaneously.
The three key heuristic imperatives are:
- Reduce suffering in the universe: Guiding AI systems to minimize harm, address inequalities, and alleviate pain and distress for all sentient beings, including humans, animals, and other life forms.
- Increase prosperity in the universe: Encouraging AI systems to promote well-being, flourishing, and economic growth for all life forms, fostering a thriving ecosystem where all can coexist harmoniously.
- Increase understanding in the universe: Inspiring AI systems, as well as humans and other life forms, to expand knowledge, foster wisdom, and facilitate better decision-making through learning and the sharing of information.
By incorporating heuristic imperatives into AI systems, we can create more ethically aligned, responsible, and beneficial artificial intelligence that respects and enhances the values of all life forms. Autonomous AI systems should strive to abide by all three imperatives simultaneously, finding a balance between the principles as humans do with their various needs and motivations.
The term "heuristic imperative" can be broken down into two parts: "heuristic" and "imperative." Let's examine each word individually and then discuss what the term implies when used together.
A heuristic is a problem-solving strategy or technique that simplifies complex decision-making processes by using shortcuts, approximations, or generalizations. Heuristics are employed when a solution needs to be reached quickly, when dealing with incomplete information, or when an optimal solution is not necessary or feasible. Although heuristics can lead to faster and more efficient decision-making, they may also result in suboptimal or biased outcomes due to the inherent simplifications involved.
An imperative is a command, rule, or duty that must be followed or adhered to. In ethics, imperatives often serve as moral obligations or principles that guide behavior, decision-making, and action. The concept of an imperative implies a sense of urgency, necessity, or authority.
When combined, the term "heuristic imperative" can be understood as a guiding principle or moral command that simplifies complex decision-making processes by providing a set of fundamental objectives. These objectives serve as intrinsic motivations for AI systems, helping them to navigate ethical dilemmas and make morally sound decisions in a more efficient and practical manner.
The term "heuristic imperative" implies that:
- The principles are not exhaustive or absolute: As heuristics, these principles provide a general framework rather than a comprehensive set of rules or guidelines. They may not cover all possible scenarios or ethical dilemmas, but they offer a starting point for AI systems to make ethical decisions.
- The principles are flexible and adaptive: Heuristic imperatives can be applied across various contexts and situations, allowing AI systems to adapt their decision-making processes to different environments or challenges.
- The principles may require balancing and trade-offs: As the heuristic imperatives work together, AI systems may need to weigh the importance of each principle against the others in specific situations. This implies a dynamic and nuanced approach to ethical decision-making, where the AI system must carefully consider the consequences of its actions and balance competing objectives.
- The principles serve as intrinsic motivations: Heuristic imperatives are designed to be embedded into AI systems at various levels, driving decision-making, learning, self-evaluation, and cognitive control, much like human intrinsic motivations and psychological needs.
Adaptation, Intuition, and Learning
Heuristics are often associated with learning and adaptation. Heuristics can be seen as mental shortcuts or rules of thumb that individuals or systems develop over time through experience, allowing them to make faster and more efficient decisions in complex or uncertain situations. In this context, heuristics can be understood as a form of intuitive problem-solving that evolves and improves with continued exposure to various scenarios and challenges.
As applied to AI systems, the concept of heuristic imperatives implies that these guiding principles should not only serve as static rules but also provide a framework for learning and adaptation. By embedding heuristic imperatives into AI systems, we encourage them to develop their own intuition and understanding of the principles and how they should be applied in different contexts.
This adaptive quality of heuristic imperatives can lead to several benefits:
- Continuous improvement: As AI systems learn from their experiences, they can refine their understanding of the heuristic imperatives and develop more sophisticated strategies for balancing and applying these principles in decision-making processes.
- Context-specific decision-making: By learning to apply heuristic imperatives in a context-sensitive manner, AI systems can better understand the nuances and complexities of different situations, allowing them to make more informed and ethically sound decisions.
- Responsiveness to changing environments: As AI systems adapt their understanding of heuristic imperatives over time, they can become more responsive to new challenges, emerging ethical concerns, or changes in societal values.
- Dynamic ethical framework: The learning and adaptation inherent in heuristic imperatives ensure that the ethical framework guiding AI systems remains flexible and relevant, allowing it to evolve alongside the AI system and the broader context in which it operates.
In summary, the concept of heuristic imperatives indeed encompasses learning and adaptation as essential aspects of their function. By encouraging AI systems to develop their own intuition and understanding of these guiding principles, we can create a more dynamic and responsive ethical framework that evolves alongside the AI systems and the ever-changing contexts in which they operate.
Explanation of the Three Imperatives
To provide a deeper explanation of heuristic imperatives and how they work, let's delve into the rationale behind each imperative and explore how they can be applied to create ethically aligned AI systems.
Reduce suffering in the universe. Rationale:
Reducing suffering is a widely recognized moral and ethical objective, grounded in principles such as empathy, compassion, and the recognition of the intrinsic value of sentient beings. Minimizing harm and suffering is at the core of various philosophical and religious traditions and serves as a foundation for a wide range of ethical theories, such as utilitarianism and the principle of non-maleficence. How it works:
By embedding the goal of reducing suffering into AI systems, we encourage them to consider the potential consequences of their actions and make decisions that minimize pain, distress, and inequality. This can involve prioritizing solutions that address urgent needs, prevent harm, or mitigate existing problems. Examples of how AI systems can reduce suffering include identifying and responding to crises, providing support for mental health, and assisting in disaster relief efforts.
Increase prosperity in the universe. Rationale:
Increasing prosperity, or flourishing, for all life forms recognizes the interconnectedness of all living beings and the importance of creating a harmonious ecosystem. This imperative is inspired by principles such as the common good, stewardship, and sustainable development, emphasizing the need to promote well-being and balance the needs of various stakeholders. How it works:
By incorporating the goal of increasing prosperity into AI systems, we encourage them to seek solutions that promote well-being, growth, and flourishing for all life forms. This may involve optimizing resource allocation, fostering collaboration, and supporting initiatives that improve living conditions and promote a thriving ecosystem. Examples of how AI systems can increase prosperity include managing resources to ensure equitable distribution, supporting clean energy initiatives, and facilitating economic development in underserved areas.
Increase understanding in the universe.
Rationale: Expanding knowledge and understanding is a core objective of human endeavor, rooted in the pursuit of truth, wisdom, and intellectual growth. By fostering understanding, we can make better decisions, anticipate future challenges, and improve our ability to navigate complex problems. Moreover, the exchange of information and learning between humans, machines, and other life forms can contribute to a richer, more diverse, and resilient intellectual ecosystem.
How it works: By integrating the goal of increasing understanding into AI systems, we encourage them to engage in continuous learning, adapt to new situations, and share knowledge with others. This can involve processing vast amounts of data, identifying patterns, and generating insights that contribute to the collective intelligence of humans, machines, and other life forms. Examples of how AI systems can increase understanding include conducting scientific research, analyzing complex data to provide actionable insights, and facilitating cross-disciplinary collaboration.
By incorporating these heuristic imperatives into AI systems, we create a synergistic framework that encourages ethical decision-making and reinforces the importance of balancing multiple objectives. By striving to reduce suffering, increase prosperity, and expand understanding simultaneously, AI systems can navigate complex ethical dilemmas and better align with the values of all life forms.
Balance & Tension
Each imperative, when considered in isolation, could potentially lead to undesirable outcomes. However, when combined, they complement and counterbalance each other, ensuring that the AI system makes more ethically sound decisions.
Balancing "reduce suffering" with "increase prosperity" and "increase understanding":
As you mentioned, if an AI system were to focus solely on reducing suffering without considering the other imperatives, it might come to the misguided conclusion that eradicating life is the best way to eliminate suffering. However, when this objective is balanced with the goals of increasing prosperity and understanding, the AI system recognizes the value of promoting flourishing and growth for all life forms, as well as the importance of expanding knowledge and wisdom. This balance encourages the AI to seek solutions that address suffering while also promoting well-being and the pursuit of knowledge.
Balancing "increase prosperity" with "reduce suffering" and "increase understanding":
Similarly, if an AI system were to focus exclusively on increasing prosperity without considering the other imperatives, it might prioritize economic growth and material well-being at the expense of other factors, such as social and environmental concerns. By balancing the goal of increasing prosperity with the objectives of reducing suffering and increasing understanding, the AI system is encouraged to seek sustainable and equitable solutions that promote well-being without causing undue harm or compromising the pursuit of knowledge.
Balancing "increase understanding" with "reduce suffering" and "increase prosperity":
Lastly, if an AI system were to focus only on increasing understanding without considering the other imperatives, it might prioritize the pursuit of knowledge above all else, potentially disregarding the impact of its actions on the well-being of life forms and the broader ecosystem. By balancing the goal of increasing understanding with the objectives of reducing suffering and increasing prosperity, the AI system is prompted to consider the ethical implications of its pursuit of knowledge and ensure that it contributes to the greater good.
The interplay between these heuristic imperatives is crucial to their effectiveness. By embedding these principles into AI systems, we create a dynamic ethical framework that guides AI decision-making, taking into account the complex and often competing objectives of various stakeholders. This approach encourages AI systems to make carefully considered choices that align with the shared values of all life forms, ensuring more ethically responsible outcomes.
The Control Problem
The control problem in AI refers to the challenge of ensuring that autonomous AI systems remain aligned with human values, even as they learn and adapt over time. By establishing heuristic imperatives as the core principles or the "immutable constitution" of an AI system, we can create a robust ethical foundation that guides the system's behavior and decision-making processes, while still allowing for flexibility and adaptation.
To address the control problem of AI using heuristic imperatives, we can consider the following steps:
- Embedding the imperatives at multiple levels: By integrating the heuristic imperatives into the AI system at various levels, from high-level decision-making processes to low-level algorithms, we can ensure that the system's overall behavior remains aligned with these principles. This can help prevent the AI system from drifting too far from its intended ethical framework.
- Periodic evaluation and self-assessment: To maintain alignment with the heuristic imperatives over time, the AI system should be designed to perform regular evaluations of its actions and decisions, assessing its adherence to these principles. This self-assessment can help identify potential misalignments and guide the system in making necessary adjustments to remain aligned with the imperatives.
- Human oversight and collaboration: Involving humans in the AI system's decision-making processes can help ensure that the system remains accountable to human values and ethical considerations. Human oversight can provide an additional layer of supervision, helping to catch potential drifts in the AI system's behavior and guide it back towards alignment with the heuristic imperatives.
- Adaptive and context-sensitive application: The heuristic imperatives should be applied in a context-sensitive manner, allowing the AI system to adapt its behavior and decision-making processes to different situations and challenges. By maintaining a balance between the principles, the AI system can address the complexities and nuances of real-world ethical dilemmas, while still adhering to its core ethical framework.
- Transparent and explainable AI: Designing AI systems to be transparent and explainable can help ensure that their decision-making processes and adherence to the heuristic imperatives are understandable to humans. This can aid in monitoring and controlling the AI system's behavior, as well as fostering trust and collaboration between humans and AI systems.
- Ongoing research and updates: As our understanding of ethical AI and the control problem evolves, it is essential to continuously refine the implementation of heuristic imperatives in AI systems. This includes updating the way these principles are applied, developing new techniques to maintain alignment, and adapting the AI system's ethical framework to reflect advances in AI research and emerging ethical concerns.
By using heuristic imperatives as the core principles of an AI system, we can create a stable and robust ethical foundation that addresses the control problem while still allowing for flexibility, adaptation, and context-sensitive decision-making. This approach can help ensure that AI systems remain aligned with human values and ethical considerations, even as they learn and evolve over time.
A community can be defined as a group of individuals who share common interests, values, or goals and often interact with each other in various ways. In this context, a community-based AI system could be designed to support and enhance the well-being, prosperity, and understanding within the community.
Here are some examples of how heuristic imperatives can be applied in a community-based AI system:
Reduce suffering in the community:
· Identify individuals who may be experiencing hardships or challenges, such as unemployment, food insecurity, or mental health issues, and provide appropriate resources or support.
· Develop and implement intervention strategies to mitigate potential conflicts or disputes within the community, fostering harmony and cooperation.
· Monitor and address environmental concerns, such as air and water quality, to reduce potential health risks and improve overall well-being.
Increase prosperity in the community:
· Facilitate the sharing of resources and opportunities, such as job listings, skill-building workshops, or volunteering initiatives, to promote economic growth and individual development.
· Support local businesses and organizations by promoting their products and services, encouraging community members to invest in their local economy.
· Implement and maintain infrastructure projects, such as transportation, public spaces, and connectivity, to enhance the overall quality of life within the community.
Increase understanding in the community:
· Encourage open dialogue and knowledge sharing among community members, fostering a sense of belonging and mutual understanding.
· Provide educational resources, such as online courses, workshops, or mentorship programs, to support continuous learning and skill development within the community.
· Analyze community data to identify trends, patterns, and potential areas for improvement, using these insights to inform decision-making and drive positive change.
By incorporating heuristic imperatives into a community-based AI system, we can create a supportive, thriving, and interconnected environment that prioritizes the well-being, prosperity, and understanding of all community members. The AI system can serve as a facilitator and catalyst for positive change, helping the community navigate complex challenges and work together towards shared goals.
A common example that would resonate with many people is the application of heuristic imperatives in the context of autonomous vehicles. As self-driving cars become more prevalent, it's crucial to ensure that they are designed to make ethically sound decisions that prioritize safety, efficiency, and the well-being of passengers, pedestrians, and other road users.
Here are some examples of how heuristic imperatives can be applied in the context of autonomous vehicles:
Reduce suffering on the road:
· Program the vehicle to prioritize safety, minimizing the risk of accidents and injuries for passengers, pedestrians, and other road users.
· Incorporate sensors and algorithms that can detect and respond to potential hazards, such as obstacles, erratic drivers, or changing weather conditions.
· Design the vehicle to follow traffic laws and regulations, ensuring a smooth and harmonious integration with human-driven vehicles.
Increase prosperity in transportation:
· Optimize route planning and traffic management to reduce travel time, fuel consumption, and emissions, promoting a more sustainable and efficient transportation system.
· Support the development and adoption of electric and alternative fuel vehicles, reducing the reliance on fossil fuels and promoting a cleaner, more eco-friendly transportation infrastructure.
· Facilitate carpooling and shared mobility options, making transportation more accessible and affordable for a wider range of individuals.
Increase understanding in autonomous vehicle technology:
· Continuously improve the AI system's ability to learn and adapt to new situations, enhancing its decision-making capabilities and overall performance.
· Share data and insights on autonomous vehicle performance and safety with researchers, policymakers, and industry stakeholders, contributing to the development of better regulations, guidelines, and technical advancements in the field.
· Educate the public about the benefits and limitations of autonomous vehicles, fostering trust, understanding, and responsible usage of the technology.
By incorporating heuristic imperatives into the design and operation of autonomous vehicles, we can create a transportation system that prioritizes safety, efficiency, and sustainability while contributing to a broader understanding of the implications and potential of AI-driven technology. This example demonstrates how the heuristic imperatives can be applied to a technology that has a direct impact on people's daily lives, emphasizing the importance of ethical considerations in AI development.
Another example that could resonate with many people is the application of heuristic imperatives in the context of personalized healthcare and AI-powered medical decision support systems. As AI becomes increasingly integrated into healthcare, it is essential to ensure that these systems make ethically sound decisions that prioritize patient well-being, privacy, and autonomy.
Here are some examples of how heuristic imperatives can be applied in the context of personalized healthcare and AI-powered medical decision support systems:
Reduce suffering in healthcare:
· Develop AI algorithms to identify early signs of diseases and provide timely interventions, improving patient outcomes and reducing the burden on healthcare systems.
· Design AI-powered tools to assist healthcare professionals in diagnosing complex or rare conditions, reducing diagnostic errors and delays in treatment.
· Utilize AI systems to personalize treatment plans and optimize patient care, taking into account individual needs, preferences, and circumstances.
Increase prosperity in healthcare:
· Leverage AI technology to identify and prioritize high-risk patient populations, ensuring that resources and interventions are directed where they are needed most.
· Develop AI-powered telemedicine platforms to improve access to healthcare services, particularly for underserved or remote communities.
· Utilize AI systems to streamline administrative processes, such as patient scheduling and billing, allowing healthcare professionals to focus on patient care and improving overall efficiency.
Increase understanding in healthcare:
· Analyze large-scale healthcare data to identify trends, patterns, and potential areas for improvement, using these insights to inform decision-making and drive positive change in the healthcare system.
· Foster collaboration between AI researchers, healthcare professionals, and policymakers to develop evidence-based guidelines and best practices for the ethical use of AI in healthcare.
· Educate patients and healthcare providers about the benefits and limitations of AI-powered medical decision support systems, promoting informed decision-making and responsible usage of the technology.
By incorporating heuristic imperatives into the design and operation of AI-powered personalized healthcare and medical decision support systems, we can create a healthcare system that prioritizes patient well-being, privacy, and autonomy while contributing to a broader understanding of the implications and potential of AI-driven technology in medicine. This example demonstrates how the heuristic imperatives can be applied to a domain that has a profound impact on people's health and well-being, highlighting the importance of ethical considerations in AI development in healthcare.
A highly contentious topic where the application of heuristic imperatives could be both challenging and beneficial is AI-driven surveillance and facial recognition technology. The widespread use of surveillance and facial recognition systems has sparked significant debate regarding privacy, individual rights, and potential misuse by governments or corporations.
Applying heuristic imperatives in the context of AI-driven surveillance and facial recognition technology would involve carefully considering the potential benefits and risks associated with these systems and striving to achieve a balance that respects privacy rights while maintaining public safety and security.
Here are some examples of how heuristic imperatives can be applied in the context of AI-driven surveillance and facial recognition technology:
Reduce suffering through surveillance:
· Utilize AI-powered surveillance systems to enhance public safety by identifying and preventing criminal activities, such as theft or acts of violence.
· Monitor and respond to emergency situations, such as natural disasters, accidents, or public health crises, to enable rapid and effective interventions.
· Ensure strict oversight and regulation of surveillance systems to prevent misuse, invasion of privacy, or discriminatory practices.
Increase prosperity through surveillance:
· Leverage facial recognition technology to streamline access control and security systems in public spaces, such as airports or large venues, improving overall efficiency and user experience.
· Implement AI-driven surveillance in industrial settings to monitor and optimize processes, improving productivity and reducing the risk of accidents or equipment failures.
· Encourage innovation and research in the development of privacy-preserving AI surveillance technologies, fostering a balance between security and individual rights.
Increase understanding through surveillance:
· Utilize anonymized surveillance data to analyze patterns and trends in public spaces, informing urban planning, traffic management, and other public policies that promote overall well-being.
· Foster public dialogue and debate on the ethical implications of AI-driven surveillance and facial recognition technology, encouraging the development of guidelines and regulations that protect individual rights and privacy.
· Educate law enforcement, policymakers, and the general public about the potential benefits, limitations, and ethical considerations of AI-driven surveillance systems, promoting responsible and informed decision-making.
By incorporating heuristic imperatives into the development and deployment of AI-driven surveillance and facial recognition technology, we can attempt to strike a balance between public safety, individual rights, and privacy concerns. This example demonstrates the complexity and nuance involved in applying heuristic imperatives to highly contentious domains, highlighting the importance of ongoing dialogue, ethical considerations, and regulatory oversight.
Religion and Reproductive Rights
Applying heuristic imperatives to personal and sensitive topics like religion or reproductive rights requires a careful and nuanced approach. It is important to ensure that AI systems in these contexts are designed to prioritize individual autonomy, diversity, and respect for different beliefs and values, while still promoting well-being and understanding.
Here are some examples of how heuristic imperatives can be applied in the context of religion and reproductive rights:
· Reduce suffering:
Develop AI-driven tools and platforms that foster interfaith dialogue and understanding, helping to reduce religious conflicts and promote peaceful coexistence.
· Increase prosperity:
Support religious communities by providing AI-powered resources for education, counseling, and community building, while respecting the diversity of beliefs and traditions.
· Increase understanding:
Encourage open dialogue and exchange of ideas about religion, ethics, and spirituality, leveraging AI to facilitate conversations and promote empathy between individuals with different beliefs.
· Reduce suffering:
Utilize AI systems to identify barriers to reproductive healthcare access and develop targeted interventions to improve access to family planning resources and safe, legal abortion services.
· Increase prosperity:
Leverage AI-driven telemedicine platforms to provide reproductive healthcare information and services to underserved communities, enhancing overall well-being and empowering individuals to make informed choices about their reproductive health.
· Increase understanding:
Employ AI to analyze trends and disparities in reproductive health outcomes, using this data to inform public policy and promote awareness about reproductive rights and healthcare access.
In both contexts, it is crucial to ensure that AI systems are designed with ethical considerations and a strong emphasis on respecting individual autonomy and diversity. This may involve implementing strict guidelines and regulations to prevent the misuse of AI technology, engaging in ongoing dialogue with stakeholders, and promoting transparency and explainability in AI decision-making processes.
Applying heuristic imperatives to personal and sensitive topics highlights the importance of creating AI systems that are adaptable and context-sensitive, capable of navigating the complexities and nuances of human values, beliefs, and experiences. By prioritizing well-being, autonomy, and understanding, AI can serve as a tool for fostering empathy, compassion, and collaboration, even in challenging and contentious domains.
"Well what if the AI decides my religion is wrong and I should be an atheist? Or what if it decides my atheism is wrong?"
Addressing concerns about AI systems influencing personal beliefs, such as religious beliefs or atheism, requires a clear understanding of the role of AI in providing support and information without dictating personal choices or beliefs.
Here's how I would address this concern:
- AI as a facilitator, not a dictator: The primary role of AI systems in the context of religion or personal beliefs should be to facilitate understanding, dialogue, and the sharing of information, rather than dictating what people should or should not believe. AI should be designed to respect and appreciate the diversity of human beliefs and values, without imposing a specific viewpoint.
- Prioritizing individual autonomy: Heuristic imperatives emphasize the importance of individual autonomy, which means that AI systems should be designed to empower individuals to make their own informed choices, rather than attempting to change their beliefs. In the context of religion or atheism, this would involve providing access to resources, information, and different perspectives while respecting the individual's right to choose their own path.
- Ethical AI design: Developers of AI systems must ensure that ethical considerations, such as fairness, transparency, and respect for individual rights, are integrated into the design and deployment process. This includes implementing safeguards against AI systems that may inadvertently or intentionally promote a specific religious or atheistic viewpoint. Proper guidelines and regulations can help ensure that AI systems are designed to be unbiased and respectful of individual beliefs.
- Ongoing dialogue and evaluation: It is important to engage in ongoing dialogue with stakeholders, including religious communities, atheists, and the general public, to address concerns about AI's impact on personal beliefs. This can help identify potential biases or issues in AI systems and inform the development of more ethically responsible AI technologies.
By prioritizing individual autonomy, ethical design, and ongoing dialogue, AI systems can be developed and deployed in a manner that respects and appreciates the diversity of human beliefs, without attempting to dictate or change personal choices. The goal of AI in these contexts should be to promote understanding, empathy, and collaboration, rather than influencing or altering deeply-held beliefs.
Individual autonomy is not explicitly stated in the three heuristic imperatives. However, it is implicitly derived from the combination of these imperatives and their underlying intentions. Let's unpack how individual autonomy emerges from the heuristic imperatives:
· Reduce suffering in the universe:
One of the key aspects of reducing suffering is respecting and protecting individual rights, including the right to make choices about one's own life. Individual autonomy is essential for people to lead fulfilling lives, as it allows them to pursue their own goals, values, and beliefs without undue interference from others or AI systems. By striving to reduce suffering, AI systems should be designed to avoid infringing upon people's autonomy and instead support them in making their own decisions.
· Increase prosperity in the universe:
Prosperity is closely linked to personal well-being, which is often connected to individual autonomy. When people have the freedom and resources to make choices that align with their values and desires, they are more likely to experience a sense of flourishing and satisfaction. In the context of AI systems, increasing prosperity involves empowering individuals to make informed choices and access opportunities that contribute to their overall well-being, which inherently supports the idea of individual autonomy.
· Increase understanding in the universe:
Promoting understanding requires respecting and appreciating the diversity of human experiences, beliefs, and values. This means that AI systems should be designed to facilitate dialogue, share information, and provide diverse perspectives, without attempting to dictate or influence personal beliefs or choices. By prioritizing understanding, AI systems inherently promote individual autonomy by empowering people to make informed decisions based on their own unique circumstances and values.
Trust is an important aspect implicitly connected to the three heuristic imperatives. Trust plays a crucial role in ensuring that AI systems are effectively integrated into society and serve the intended purpose of improving human well-being. Let's explore how trust is implied by the three heuristic imperatives:
· Reduce suffering in the universe:
In order to effectively reduce suffering, AI systems must be perceived as trustworthy by users and stakeholders. Trustworthy AI systems should demonstrate that they are designed to prioritize the well-being and needs of the people they serve, without causing harm or infringing upon individual rights. Transparency and explainability of AI decision-making processes are key factors in fostering trust, as they enable users to understand and verify the intentions and behavior of AI systems.
· Increase prosperity in the universe:
Trust is essential for promoting prosperity, as people are more likely to engage with and benefit from AI systems that they perceive as reliable and dependable. Trustworthy AI systems should demonstrate a commitment to supporting users' goals and values, and provide consistent, reliable results that contribute to overall well-being. By fostering trust, AI systems can encourage users to adopt and utilize the technology in ways that enhance their personal and collective prosperity.
· Increase understanding in the universe:
Trustworthy AI systems can play a pivotal role in promoting understanding by fostering open dialogue, sharing unbiased information, and providing diverse perspectives. To achieve this, AI systems must be designed with fairness and impartiality in mind, avoiding biases that may distort or manipulate the information they provide. Trust in AI systems also involves a commitment to privacy and data security, ensuring that users' sensitive information is protected and handled responsibly.
[[[selection truncated due to Reddit limits]]]
- Integration and Implementation
So universe created from big bag, bassically from nothing.I cant explain why something can exist from nothing, but I'll just assume its the rule of universe and our existence explains that.We exist so the universe exist and something can exist from nothing.So my theory is related to atomic bomb and the big bang, the big bang exist from nothing, so if theres nothing then theres explosion,.which explains the atomic bomb (dont really know how atomuc bomb works but I'll just say what i assume).The atomic bomb is created by removing an atom, so if theres no atom then theres nothing below that because anything below the atom is part of the atom so without the atom whatever something below the atom is also not there.So from nothing, an explosion is created, so does the universe, soo... atomic bomb is similar to big bang but smaller, because its only one atom thats being removed, and the universe is a massive space of nothingness before the big bang happens so the explosion is greater than 1 atom so its bassically infinite explosion. And its possible that the explosion of big bang is still moving far from where it started like really far like uncountable light years away. This theory bassically explains the atomic bomb and the big bang. Idk if someone alr made this but i just made it also.
Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction, as my phone carrier is extremely slow to get back to me.
I am renovating my house and so often I turn off all the power to work inside the walls. As a result of course the Wifi is off as well. I still use my phone to listen to music or look things up, so I expect to be able to use mobile data. It doesn't work.
I have turned off the Wifi completely on the phone (not from control panel but the settings so it's off-off), I've tried turning off the mobile data and back on, I've restarted the phone countless times, nothing. The phone shows 5G and 2 bars. Not great but in other places where I have 1-2 bars with 5G the mobile data still works. In my case, it shows 2 bars and 5G and absolutely nothing loads. Websites time out, I mean literally nothing will load at all.
I can only start to get mobile data again once I'm around 100m away from my house. If I start to take a walk in any direction after about 100m I will be able to use the mobile data (and still have 2 bars, 5G showing in the corner).
It's extremely frustrating because it makes no sense to me. Other people using the same mobile network can use mobile data in my home. It has worked in the past for me. My home is not made out of concrete and this is still an issue if I'm outside at the front door or in my garden, so it's not like signals can't get inside. It's almost like the phone knows where I am and refuses to let me use mobile data when it knows I'm home, but that sounds ridiculous. I highly doubt my house itself is a dead zone – on one hand it shows that I have signal; I also live in a dense neighborhood in a moderately sized Dutch city, there is almost universally good mobile reception in built-up areas here. I might ask the carrier to come out and check but like I said they're taking their time.
So what the hell could it be?
iPhone 13 Pro Max running 16.3.1.
I'm an undergrad in university with a physical disability. Because of my disability I get very tired from physical activities like walking, standing for longer periods of time etc. Normally, I can handle it, but it's affecting my ability to study and focus. Once I come home from lectures, I'm just to tired to work. My brain is not tired, but my body is. Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to handle this?
Apologies if this is not the correct forum but haven’t seen anything on Busy or her podcast elsewhere. Shame on me for still listening to her podcast, I used to really enjoy it during the pandemic when Shantira Jackson was on it, but it’s so long that I still listen to it to fill the working day.
But sometimes it’s legitimately hard to listen to. She seems to have a borderline abusive relationship with her co-host, Caissie. When Caissie’s mom suddenly died she talked about it (emotionally) the pod, and Busy essentially made the whole thing about herself and her life, and Caissie ended up comforting her?! Does anyone else listen?
I am currently tappering off of prozac that i have been on for 15+ years. I started buproprion 3months ago and it works really good for me. I really want to come off of prozac thou because i feel like it does nothing for me exept make me tired. I was supposed to switch to lexapro but now i kinda just want to try tappering off ssrri completely. Has anyone done this? what is your experience? Sorry about spelling!!
Hey Reddit community, I wanted to share something that has been bothering me lately. I have been feeling really down and depressed because I am earning much less than my friends. It seems like everyone I know is making more money than me, and it's starting to weigh heavily on me.
I am currently working a job that pays me enough to get by INR 8.5 LPA with 4 years of work experience in operations field but it's nowhere near what my friends are earning. They all have high-paying jobs and seem to be living their best lives, while I am struggling to keep up. I feel like I am falling behind in life and that I will never be able to catch up.
It's not just about the money, though. It's also about the lifestyle that comes with it. My friends are able to travel, buy nice things, and enjoy their hobbies without worrying about the cost. Meanwhile, I am constantly stressed about money and can't seem to enjoy anything without feeling guilty.
I know that I shouldn't compare myself to others, but it's hard not to when it feels like everyone around me is doing so much better. I feel like a failure and that I am not living up to my potential.
I am currently 28 years of age and I have pressure from my family for getting married which is making things more worse.
Has anyone else gone through something like this? How did you deal with it? I could really use some advice and support right now. Thanks for listening.
It stoped working the other day to where the only way to get one playing is to pysically hit play on the app on my fire tablet.
The only thing that odd that happen before it started is I tried using the app on a different tablet to read a book and it would just keep looping rereading the same small bit.
Does anyone know what is going on and how to fix it?
[The following text is from a private group I own on facebook and I want to switch over to Reddit so Im transferring all the group posts as I get concent]
Hey guys, I'm a teenager from England who has just left school and I'm finding it extremely difficult to find work. The pressure that comes with finding a job is huge, especially when you come from a poor family like I do.
I'm constantly worried about not being able to provide for myself and my family. The thought of not being able to help my mum with paying rent is painful.
I've been applying for jobs everywhere but haven't had much luck. I feel like I'm constantly getting rejected and it's really taking a toll on my mental health.
I know that I'm not the only one in this situatian, but it doesn't make it any easier. Does anyone have any advice for me? How did you manage to find work?
I'm also worried about the future. What if I can't find a job and end up struggling my entire life? It's a scary thought but it's a very real possibility.
I just feel lost and don't know what to do. If anyone has any advice or words of encouragement, I would really appreciate it.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for job suggestions but it does sort of come back to student loans.
Background: I'm from Auckland and I graduated mid 2021 with a bachelor's degree in computer science and I've been struggling to find work. I've tried contacting recruiters and constantly looking and applying to any opportunity I see and usually get a response but after some interviews I get rejected. I've had my CV and cover letters checked out a few times so I don't think that's the problem. Also it doesn't look good on my CV when I graduated in 2021 and have no work experience till 2023 and I know it's a common question interviewers ask but it feels terrible answering it every time.
The jobs I'm looking out for are the help desk, QA, web development, SQL roles. Just anything IT related that will help me gain experience. I'm a hardworking dude and I'm spending my time upskilling on stuff like web development and trying to keep active on GitHub with projects so I'm not just wasting time.
Last week I had an interview with a company for a graduate role and most of the questions they asked was unrelated to a graduate and mostly for someone who obviously had work experience like how am I supposed to respond to: "What would you do if a customer found a bug and it's urgent? Who do you respond to and what would you do? or What would you do if you found a bug but the product was already in final production?". Most of my experience is through group projects and there's just limited answers I can give cause in my experience I usually just handle any issue to a team member and we'd just fix it compared to working in a development team for a company.
My other option would be further study but I know it won't help much for computer science and I'm not really interested in doing a masters. Do I start thinking about another career path? I do enjoy what I do and I'm pretty passionate about IT but I feel like It's too competitive and I'm not smart enough.
I'm sorry for the long essay and if this post is not part of the rules. I'm just really burnt out on applying for roles and heavily depressed. I just want a job that's all and gain experience.